Avery discovered CrossFit after scouring the internet for information on kettlebells in 2007. Initially she was intimidated to see the day’s workout called for “an insane amount of pull ups – like 50″. While she was sure she could handle an hour on the elliptical, she knew she couldn’t do a single pull up. A few months later she attended one of the first classes at the gym’s first location on 38th St. Though she left the first class unable to lift her arms above her head after completing a workout with modified push ups and pull ups, she was completely hooked on CrossFit. Ten years later, Avery serves as Head Coach of CFNYC.
During her time training and coaching at CFNYC, Avery also competed in kettlebell sport for 7 years at the national and international level. She holds American records in snatch and biathlon disciplines with the 16 kg bell and half marathon records with the 16 and 20 kg bell. Currently, Avery is also pursuing a Doctorate of Physical Therapy at Hunter College and plans to combine her love of CrossFit with physical therapy once she graduates in 2020.
Avery is available for private training and has experience with athletes rehabbing from injuries, moms-to-be, and beginners who – as she once did – struggle to meet those first milestones like a real pull up. You can follow Avery on Instagram at @nyckettlebells.
- CrossFit Level 1 Trainer
- CrossFit Level 2 Trainer
- CrossFit Endurance Trainer Course
- CrossFit Mobility Trainer Course
- IKSFA Level 1 and 2 Kettlebell Instructor
- USAW Level 1 Sports Performance Coach
- USAW Level 2 Advanced Sports Performance Coach
- Safe Sport Certified
- The Art of Coaching Weightlifting Seminar (with Ursula Garza Papandrea)
- California Strength Weightlifting Seminar
- Hunter College Doctor of Physical Therapy Candidate 2020