This year (just like the past 2 years), during the CrossFit Open we will run Open workouts on Friday, Saturday and Monday at 28th and 67th street. We will also have All Levels workouts on Friday and Saturday for those members who do not choose to participate in the Open.
Depending on the actual Open WOD, we may or may not do something similar in the All Levels WOD. The only way you can be guaranteed access to the Open WOD’s is to actually register for the Open.
So, if you plan to do the Open workout every week, you must register to be on the CrossFit NYC team. The “Open WOD” class sessions will only be available to those who have registered for the 2019 CrossFit Open.
Open WODs will run from early Friday afternoon through early Monday afternoon. Your best opportunity to complete the workout will be Friday night and Saturday (all day), but we always offer “Last Chance” workouts on Monday.
How to Register for an Open WOD in Zen Planner:
1. Forward the email you received from CrossFit verifying that you are registered for the 2019 CrossFit Open to info@CrossFitNYC.com. Please mention your home location (Flatiron or UWS) somewhere in the body of your email.
2. The Front Desk will assign you a special membership “Pass” that grants you access to Open WODs – you’ll be able to register for these sessions like any other class, using your Zen Planner account.
3. This “Pass” will let you register for NO MORE THAN 2 Open WODs in any given calendar week – this is meant to serve as a courtesy for members who may wish to, for example, do 19.1 on a Sunday, and then 19.2 the following Saturday. Open WODs open for registration 7 days ahead of time, just like any other class.
4. If we find you are registered for more than one session of any given Open WOD, your later reservation will be canceled as there are limited spots available in each class. We keep the class caps low until we know the logistics of the workout which are not announced until late Thursday night. If you cannot get into any class please put yourself on the waitlist. We will increase capacity where possible after we know what the WOD is. We recommend you plan to perform the workout once rather than multiple times over the weekend.
The exact schedule will initially be somewhat in flux, for the following reasons:
1. We do not yet know how many of our members will register for the Open.
2. We do not know the WOD’s, so there is always the distinct chance that certain WOD’s will not be able to be performed at 67th Street (e.g., wall balls to a 10′ target).
3. We do not know the logistics of any given WOD until Thursday evening (8 PM), when they announce the workout.
We cannot provide our normal flexibility and at the same time guarantee each participant that we will manage and judge their WOD to the standards demanded by CrossFit HQ. Therefore, we are choosing to maximize the experience of those members who choose to register in the Open and are prepared to make the sacrifices that are required to participate in any professionally run competition. We also recognize that not all of our members wish to participate in the Open.
If you are traveling during the Open, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to do the WOD at the exact time or place of your choosing. Please plan ahead and contact the local affiliates beforehand, if you are traveling during the Open. They will be responsible for validating your score(s) performed at their affiliate (not CFNYC).