In 2012 when we opened the Second Floor at 28th Street (and still had two small floors at 26th Street) our total monthly rent, taxes, and utilities for both locations was about $50,000 for about 1000 Flatiron members. In 2018, rents and taxes have grown dramatically. We now have the Second and Third Floor at 28th Street, and our total monthly rent, taxes, and utilities are about $100,000 for 800 Flatiron members. We do not want to keep raising rates to cover these costs.
We think we can do a far better job of maximizing value for our members by making a few smart changes to our schedule and consolidating on the Second Floor. The schedule will be virtually unchanged from Wednesday-Sunday (there may be some very minor shifts of a class here or there). The main changes will occur on Monday and Tuesday.
Here are the highlights for Monday’s and Tuesday’s:
- Beginner WOD’s will be at 5:30 AM, 6:30 AM, 7:30 AM, 8:30 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM, 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, 7:00 PM, and 8:00 PM on the north side of the Second Floor
- Experienced WOD’s will be at 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM, 8:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM, 6:30 PM on the south side of the second floor and 7:30 PM (alongside the Competition WOD) on the southeast side of the Second Floor
- Competition WOD’s will be at 6:00 AM and 7:00 AM (alongside the eWOD and will be open to qualified members) and 7:30 PM to 9:30 PM (also open to qualified members) on the southeast side of the Second Floor
- Black Box Barbell WOD’s will be at their normal time on the southwest side of the Second Floor
With these changes, we will accomplish the following:
- Maintain a maximum class size of 22 and an average class size of 15 (even if it means cutting back on signing up new members)
- Preserve the vast majority of the Beginner classes
- Preserve the Experienced WOD options
- Preserve the Black Box Barbell program (Brian can elaborate)
- Preserve the Specialty Programming on Wednesday, All Levels on Thursday and Friday, and all weekend classes
- Increase the options for following Competition programming (Avery, Bobby, and Sara can elaborate)
While there will certainly be challenges during the transition, we believe that these changes will allow us to continue to deliver the best coaching in the City and do so at the best price.
The physical separation of Beginners from Experienced and Experienced from Competition and Barbell took away from the sense that we are all one box. We look forward to returning to that mindset and the sense of community it creates.
We will work hard to make this change as smooth as possible. If you are adversely impacted, email Amber (email@example.com) or Hari (firstname.lastname@example.org), and we will do our best to work with you.