We will be scheduling classes for the 2017 CrossFit Open differently than we have in the recent past.
This year, in addition to the Open WOD’s, we will be running two different All Levels WODs (one on Friday and one on Saturday). In some instances we may do the Open WOD as the All Levels WOD on Saturday (e.g. 7 minutes of Burpees). In other instances, we may not do the Open WOD on Saturday (e.g. 20 minute AMRAP: Overhead Walking Lunges with Dumbbell Snatch and Chest to Bar Pull ups). This means if you want the opportunity to do the Open WOD, every week, you must register on our team.
In addition, we will be running Open WOD’s from early Friday Afternoon through early Monday afternoon. Our Sunday through Thursday programming will be normal with the exception of those Sunday and Monday classes that will be Open WOD’s.
The “Open WOD” class sessions will only be available to those who have registered for the 2017 CrossFit Open.
How to Register for an Open WOD in Zen Planner:
(You may begin registering for 17.1 in the afternoon on Friday, Feb. 17th, please follow the procedure below.)
1. Forward the email you received from CrossFit verifying that you are registered for the 2017 CrossFit Open to info@CrossFitNYC.com. Please mention your home location (Flatiron or UWS) somewhere in the body of your email.
2. The Front Desk will assign you a special membership “Pass” that grants you access to Open WODs – you’ll be able to register for these sessions like any other class, using your Zen Planner account.
3. This “Pass” will let you register for NO MORE THAN 2 Open WODs in any given calendar week – this is meant to serve as a courtesy for members who may wish to, for example, do 17.1 on a Sunday, and then 17.2 the following Saturday. If we find you are registered for more than one session of any given Open WOD, your later reservation will be removed.
The exact schedule will initially be somewhat in flux, for the following reasons:
1. We do not yet know how many of our members will register for the Open.
2. We do not know the WOD’s, so there is always the distinct chance that certain WOD’s will not be able to be performed at 67th Street (e.g., wall balls to a 10′ target).
3. We do not know the logistics of any given WOD until Thursday evening (8 PM), when they announce the workout.
We cannot provide our normal flexibility and at the same time guarantee each participant that we will manage and judge their WOD to the standards demanded by CrossFit HQ. Therefore, we are choosing to maximize the experience of those members who choose to register in the Open and are prepared to make the sacrifices that are required to participate in any professionally run competition. We also recognize that not all of our members wish to participate in the Open.
If you are traveling during the Open, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to do the WOD at the exact time or place of your choosing. Please plan ahead and contact the local affiliates beforehand, if you are traveling during the Open. They will be responsible for validating your score(s) performed at their affiliate (not CFNYC).